Roads and motorways
The condition of Polish roads could be described as relatively good. Access roads around major cities are steadily improving, and B-type roads are pretty good.
There are still only a few motorways in Poland and their total length is below 700 km (A1, A2, A4 and A8). Recently the section of motorway has been completed leading from the region close to the German border to Poznan and then further onto Warsaw. There is a toll charge to use all motorways in Poland.
There are two sections connecting the north with the south and the east with the west, from Lodz to Bielsko Biala (through Czestochowa and Katowice) and from the border with Germany to Krakow (through Wroclaw and Katowice).
Because of HGV and local traffic on most roads, motorists are advised to drive carefully.
- built-up area - 50 km/h
- outside built-up area - 90 km/h
- dual carriageway - 120 km/h
- single-lane road - 100 km/h
- twin lane carriageway with at least two lanes per direction - 100 km/h
- motorway - 140 km/h
In Poland there is a toll on motorways (A1, A2, A4 and A8). These tolls are collected using two systems:
- open system: The tolls are collected at toll booths situated on motorways. The toll depends on the type of vehicle.
- closed system (viaTOLL system): The tolls are collected at toll booths situated on access roads, on junction roads and additionally on the final sections of motorways. The toll depends on the type of vehicle and the distance covered.
viaTOLL is an electronic toll collection system that charges road users for using selected sections of toll road network. Vehicles required to pay electronic tolls are the motor vehicles or combinations of vehicles with maximum permissible weight of over 3.5 tonnes and buses regardless of its maximum permissible weight.
viaTOLL system covers caravanning. Vehicles have to be equipped with little on-board units (so called viaBOX) which communicate with transmitters in toll gantries. Each time a vehicle equipped with viaBOX technology passes beneath the gantry the driver is charged for that particular section of toll road.